Okay, I’ll admit that that’s not a very catchy title. But I saw a tiktok today that said to sit down and write out 100 things that you desire. Nothing too big or too small. To be honest, it’s not the first time I’ve heard that. Years ago my partner and I sat down to write the same list because I’d read it in a book, or seen it on social media. We didn’t reach 100 items. The list is lost now. And I have NO idea if we ever did any of the things on the list. Here, in my little home on the internet, I’m hoping that it will be easier for me to refer back to. And I hope it inspires you.
Disclaimer that at the end of the day these are my desires, and so they are deeply personal. I know that some of them are impossible but I am going to include them anyways. You may or may not agree with them and that is okay. I’m going to start with big easy ones and hopefully work down to smaller ones. And hopefully imagine 100 things.
Let’s just expand our awareness around our desires and see the abundance we already have.
- Write a book about queer joy
- Publish a coffee table book
- Set up my online shop
- Finish my iphonography course
- Start and finish my posing course
- Show a collection of photos in an art gallery
- Visit every Disney park in the world (this has been on my list for so long, but as I get older and my values change it seems less like a desire I currently have and more like an old promise I made to myself that I don’t want to break.
- Have a claw foot bathtub
- Take a DNA test and connect with more family
- Make a perfect creme brûlée
- Own a bookshop
- Have a house on the beach
- Get a weekly massage
- Learn to play the banjo
- Relearn to play the guitar
- Relearn to play the piano
- Learn to speak a foreign language close to fluently
- Stay hydrated
- Grow a u-pick flower farm (seriously my backyard raised bed garden that we made ourselves has inspired me)
- Create more than I consume
- Not have any cavities
- Go to culinary school
- Open a flower stand
- Have game nights with friends
- Start my own cooking show
- Learn how to Tattoo
- Be a painter
- Prioritize my relationship with my partner
- Write more. I feel like I have so many words inside of me, but a block when it comes to letting them out.
- Have a fireplace
- Stop comparing myself to other people
- Move out of Arizona – I love the desert and the community but it is so so so hot.
- Break my cell phone addiction
- Create something beautiful that is sold at a store like anthropologie
- Not get distracted so easily (am I the only one that opens an app to look something up, forgets the thing, and has to go back to the original app to remember it?)
- Have enough money that I don’t have to worry. I don’t need to be rich, but being able to afford as much therapy as I would like would be nice.
- Run a marathon – idk why I come back to this. I’ve never been a runner, but I’m so drawn to this idea.
- Have an all out Pinterest worthy sleepover
- I want a surprise party – obviously I can’t throw myself a surprise party but I want one.
- Meet Tamora Pierce. Lol right? But no dream too big or too small here.
- Photograph Taylor Swift’s wedding
- Talk to my high school best friend. I just miss her.
- At this very moment I wish my dog would stop barking.
- Have a swimming pool with a hot tub
- Be really talented at nail art
- I know I said clawfoot tub, but I want a whole wet bath. That’s luxury lol
- To listen to myself better
- To trust my intuition
- Sometimes I’d really like to be famous, and sometimes I don’t want that at all.
- Reach out for help when I need it
- For plus size clothes to be cuter and more affordable
- Go Christmas caroling
- Have backyard dinners and movie nights
- Create and nurture a friend group for said activities
- Live on a queer farm
- Be a movie star or pop star
It’s funny that as I write some of these things down I immediately delete them like oh nope I don’t want that that was a thought someone else had. I read once that your first response is how you were raised and your second is the one that you actually believe. That has been really helpful for me to remember. I’m stuck now and I don’t know what else I want to add to this list so I’m going to have to revisit it.
I left off last time at 56 and I want to address it again:
57. Take summers completely off of work. So make enough money and budget well from September-May that June, July, and August I just don’t work at all.
58. Have a Halloween party
59. Not let fear hold me back from pursuing things. i.e. what if no one comes to my Halloween party?
60. Sell my art as art. Like genuine hang-on-the-wall art
61. Be better about writing to friends in other states. I ordered a bunch of postcards to do exactly that and then I lost them…
62. Do sponsored content. As a product photographer, I have a skill set that is right in line with that, but I’ve not pursued it.
63. Stop photographing stock photos
64. Go to Paris and visit the Louvre
65. Go to Washington DC with my partner and visit all the museums